[WSBARP] QCD under declaration of penalty

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Mar 12 15:14:30 PDT 2019

I don't think that is permitted. A deed must be under a notarized acknowledgment, which isn't the same as simply swearing under oath.

Acknowledgment versus oath, compare RCW 42.45.030(1) and (2)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=42.45.030>. See also RCW 9A.72.085<https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.72.085>, which is the statute that allows a declaration under penalty of perjury to substitute for a "sworn written statement, declaration, verification, certificate, oath, or affidavit." Note that the list of allowed substitutions does not include for a notary acknowledgment See also section (4) of RCW 9A.72.085, which reads:

(4) This section does not apply to writings requiring an acknowledgment, depositions, oaths of office, or oaths required to be taken before a special official other than a notary public.

Maybe there is a different authority elsewhere? But I don't know of one.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC