[WSBARP] Logging trees in easement

Bickel, Dwight Dwight.Bickel at fntg.com
Tue Mar 5 13:25:41 PST 2019

It seems to me that the servient owner would not have a duty to clear trees to make the land more suitable for an exclusive easement user, unless the agreement imposes that duty on the servient owner, at all, or partially. Owner: you have an easement right; go for it! Note that a non-exclusive easement imposes duties upon both servient owner and easement user to share costs according to their use. Again, unless the agreement provides differently.

Though I agree that the tree value should have been paid to the servient owner. Again, unless the agreement provided differently. I have recollection without citations of authority that the party cutting trees as needed for an easement is entitled to reimbursement of the costs from the value of the trees before the servient owner.

NOTICE: The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified to: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.