[WSBARP] Logging trees in easement

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 5 12:54:54 PST 2019

Carmen, this is an interesting post and certainly contra to my understanding of easement law in WA.  You say that “I think the servient property owner [is] obligated to pay removal fees as they were responsible for those…”  What is the legal basis for your understanding that the servient tenement is responsible for a single dime of the installation costs of the dominant tenement using the easement (assuming the servient tenement is not also using the easement area)?   I’m afraid that “neighborly accommodation” of an owner granting an easement to a neighbor flies out the window if the servient neighbor is now “obligated” to contribute to the costs of installation.   Living in a rural community, these issues come up all of the time with landlocked parcels.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D4D351.2AE85D30]