[WSBARP] Guardian ad litem - probate Pierce County

J Richard McEntee, Jr. jrmcentee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:13:47 PST 2019

Hello Listmates

I am commencing a probate in Pierce County. Deceased was unmarried and has several siblings who each have children. The nieces and nephews are to inherit the estate. One of the beneficiaries is a 16 year old minor. The minor is to receive approximately 1/10 share of $500-600K estate in trust until age 25. The minors parent (brother of the deceased who does not receive anything under the will) is named as trustee. I presume that it will be best to have a guardian ad litem appointed on behalf of the child. There is no family fighting and all are in accord with the nieces and nephews inheriting. I have never had a GAL appointed in Pierce County. Can someone share with me the process in Pierce County? i.e. does the court select from its own list? what type of investigation will the court require in a situation that I describe here? what reports will the court order the GAL to provide? Will a hearing be necessary on the report prior to closing of the probate and distribution to trust?

Also, would someone be willing to share an order that they have used in Pierce County?

Thank you in advance for the advice?

Rich

RICH McENTEE
McENTEE LAW OFFICE