[WSBARP] Rebecca's suggestion

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Wed Feb 13 15:09:09 PST 2019

First: my apologies for not cutting out the entire digest thread on my last
email - thought I had, I'm sorry I added so much to the pile!

On to discussing the management of the list, Rebecca's offered some
exceedingly good thoughts (as always) - and I have some thoughts on the
last query:

"5. Remember the discussion just past that if you want to close the listserv
except for bar members, you will also cut out many retired lawyers - do you
want to lose that resource?"

Without having caught the prior conversation, I my personal answer is no -
the question then becomes how do we do this? (and forgive me if these
thoughts were already part of that prior conversation)

Hopefully without sounding like a complete idiot … what is a bar member?
seems that the bar encompasses more than lawyers, and there must be some
form of membership identification? If that's the case, I think we can
reasonably limit the list to bar members. You could even limit it to
members of the WSBA RPPT members, which most lists do (limited to section
members, as a benefit of that section); but frankly I'd be happy keeping it
open to bar members, not limited to the section, people who are great
resources but not necessarily members of the section anymore have great
input and contribute to the greater good. I'd say we also wouldn't want to
cut out retired lawyers who are no longer licensed members of the bar, but
I think they still have a license - just "inactive", correct? (not sure the
mechanisms of WSBA's administrative composition of membership)

So in that vein, I've been on at least some forums where you just have to
enter your membership id, which eliminates someone having to personally
check. But that means there is some membership id. Surely there is?

I do think allowing legal professionals in general on a list (not just
active or retired lawyers) fulfills the general purpose of excludes the
layman who may consider the discussion "legal advice", and limits to those
who have the training to know they need to sift through the advice, not
simply apply it to a particular situation without vetting/analysis.
Personally, I'd rather see section lists limited to lawyers, but at least
being a legal professional gives that level of discretion (and if not, that
is on them).

What I am surprised is that it is an open list searchable through general
searches on whatever host WSBA uses and can simply access it. Most I know
require a link, often obtained through a password-protected entry onto the
section website; and/or some method of signing in before you can read it
using another form of password (like a bar or other ID number)

Carmen Rowe, Attorney/Owner

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Mailing address: *1673 S. Market Blvd. #202, Chehalis, WA 98532
*Olympia/Lacey office: *1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503
*Seattle office: *1001 4th Avenue, Suite 3200, Seattle, WA 98154

*We also offer virtual meeting options, and are often available to meet
with you in an alternate location convenient to you.*

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.

If we are communicating with you regarding a debt or monies owed, THIS MAY
BE AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, AND ANY INFORMATION WILL BE USED FOR THAT
PURPOSE. You have the right to seek legal advice from an attorney. To the
extent that the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act applies, this
firm is acting as a debt collector for the firm's client named above. Any
information obtained will be used for collection purposes