[WSBARP] Separate Property with Co-habitation and Expenses

Roger Moss ram at rogeramoss.com
Fri Feb 8 09:34:08 PST 2019

John,

Strife from “roommate deals” is one of the sleeping giants of the housing crisis. The way to avoid trouble is not to focus first on a particular solution, as finding one depends on context not easily condensed into short questions. Rather, a process should be created to govern the on-going relationship. That process should allow for flexibility, and include a dispute resolution mechanism.

There are both non-profit and for-profit orgs emerging who help people successfully share space. Some put roommates together. Others focus on elderly people and small landlords who need to rent rooms in their homes to make ends meet. A key ingredient is the creation of a written roommate agreement.

Here is a link to a Bay Area org with whom I frequently collaborate: https://homematchsf.org/.

We are working on bringing these services to the Puget Sound, along with those of Conflict Intervention Service in Housing, which helped over 1,000 San Francisco residents avoid eviction in the last two years through highly innovative mediation. Learn more here: sfbar.org/cis;  http://www.sfbar.org/forms/sfam/q32018/conflict-intervention-service-SFAM-Q318.pdf.

Avoiding problems before they start, which is exactly what you are trying to do, is essential. I would welcome the opportunity to share additional thoughts and experience if needed.

Addressing problems with space sharing and the related topic of how to create a thriving tenant - landlord relationship might make a good topic of presentation to the section.

Roger A. Moss
Mediation Counsel
206.790.1971 Seattle
415.371.9724 San Francisco
www.rogeramoss.com

Confidentiality Notice: The information in this e-mail (including attachments, if any) is considered confidential and is intended only for the recipient(s) listed above. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately by reply email, delete this email, and do not disclose its contents to anyone.