[WSBARP] Separate Property with Co-habitation and Expenses

Andrew Hay andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net
Fri Feb 8 09:03:10 PST 2019

Well just shooting from the hip on this I would say set a baseline at the point of marriage.  The baseline would establish the parties relative percentages of ownership of their collective assets.  For instance if the husband came in with twice as much property as the wife, that’s your baseline – two to one.  You want to create an ownership scheme that keeps the baseline percentages equal.  So the wife’s estate would not diminish while the husband’s grew over time.  If anything, you would want the disadvantaged party (in this case the wife) to have her estate improve in relation to the husband. You certainly wouldn't want to create a scheme where the disadvantaged party's position is weakened or made less secure.
After that the goal would be to create a situation where common good grows and is diminished proportionally, depending on family expenses and needs.

Andrew Hay
Hay & Swann PLLC
201 South 34th Street
Tacoma, WA  98418
Phone: (253) 272-2400
Fax:     (253) 267-8947
www.washingtonlaw.net<http://www.washingtonlaw.net/>

THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION AND IS INTENDED FOR THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT ONLY.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY AND DESTROY ALL COPIES