[WSBARP] Power of Attorney and Wills

James W. Spencer jamess at brothershenderson.com
Wed Dec 11 09:51:37 PST 2019

Jim, et. al:

That’s my thought.

I don’t know how an attorney-in-fact gets past the plain language of RCW 11.12.010 and .020 which requires the person making a will to be of sound mind. Assuming that the testator is incapacitated in such a manner that prevents them from dictating and marking a will, then doesn’t that incapacity automatically prevent the testator from making a will?

There must be some case law. I’ll see if I can hunt any down before Eric Nelsen beats me to it. 😊

Best wishes,
James

James W. Spencer
Attorney at Law