[WSBARP] Partial Satisfaction of Judgment

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Thu Nov 8 12:26:55 PST 2018

The latest word, I think, which is not entirely clear around the edges:

          ¶ 22 Both parties rely on principles from our payment application
jurisprudence to support their respective positions. As a general rule, we
have held that “ ‘when a debtor fails to direct how a payment is to be
applied the creditor may make the application as he may see fit.’ ” United
States Fid. & Guar. Co. v. E.I. Dupont De Nemours & Co., 197 Wash. 569, 579,
85 P.2d 1085 (1939) (quoting 21 Ruling Case Law 90, § 95). Where neither
creditor nor debtor appropriates the payment, a court will apply the payment
“ ‘according to its own notion of the intrinsic equity and justice of the
case.’ ” Post–Intelligencer Publ'g Co. v. Harris, 11 Wash. 500, 502, 39 P.
965 (1895) (quoting Cremer v. Higginson, 1 Mason 323, 6 F. Cas. 797, 802
(C.C.D.Mass.1817)). Tyko relies on *744 these rules in arguing that we
should conclude that the payments it received were applied to both the
materials and labor portions of its contract. However, at least one court
has concluded that the payment application rules operate only where there is
an established debtor/creditor relationship. See Oakes Logging, Inc. v.
Green Crow, Inc., 66 Wash.App. 598, 603, 832 P.2d 894 (1992) (where no
contractual relationship existed, owner became subcontractor's debtor only
by virtue of an enforceable logger's lien).

          ¶ 23 The Oakes Logging court's recognition that a valid
debtor/creditor relationship is necessary to implicate the payment
application rules is correct. The rules exist to allow parties with legal
obligations to one another to plan their behavior according to reasonably
certain outcomes. Where no relationship exists, the payment application
default rules have no effect. When Hamre issued the $7,000 jointly payable
check to C & R and Tyko, Tyko had no contractual or statutory right to
payment from Hamre on its materials claim. On point of fact, the materials
claim was permanently barred for failure to provide preclaim notice. Tyko
did, however, maintain a right to payment for the labor portion of its work
against Hamre, which requires no preclaim notice. While Tyko could sustain
the argument that it applied the payments on a pro rata basis to its claim
against C & R—because it maintained a contractually based right to payment
for both labor and materials against C & R—we are concerned here only with
the relationship between Hamre and Tyko. Thus, with regard to its pursuit of
recovery against Hamre, Tyko could have applied payments received only to
the valid labor claim. The labor portion of Tyko's contract amounted to
$7,483. Tyko received $9,628.22. Therefore, Tyko's labor claim against the
contractor's bond and retained percentage has been fully satisfied.

LRS Elec. Controls, Inc. v. Hamre Const., Inc., 153 Wash. 2d 731, 743–44
(2005)

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss

Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP

236 West Birch Street

Shelton, WA 98584

360 426-2999

www.hossandwilsonhoss.com

rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified
that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by
reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above)
and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.
Thank you.

THIS OFFICE DOES DEBT COLLECTION AND THIS E-MAIL MAY BE AN ATTEMPT TO
COLLECT A DEBT, ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPOSE.  To
the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692)
applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the
condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to
it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have
the right to seek advice of legal counsel.