[WSBARP] 1031 Exchange

Craig Gourley craig at glgmail.com
Tue Nov 6 13:39:15 PST 2018

Hi John, Presuming that these buildings are not mobile homes I think they qualify.  After the 2018 tax law change only real property is eligible for 1031 exchange.  The IRS looks to each individual state to determine the definition of real property verses personal property.  For example, under WA law a mobile home is personal property until you go through the title elimination process, at which point it becomes real property.  Presuming these buildings are stick built or mobiles with titles eliminated, they would be real property under WA law.  The next level of inquiry is does the entire interest in real property need to be transferred to qualify for an exchange. The answer is no.   You can transfer less than the entire interest.  An example would be the sale of a conservation easement.  The easement is a real property right and is sold separate from the fee interest.  Conservation easements are eligible for 1031 exchange.   In your example, with the aforementioned caveats,  I think the structures are real property which can be sold separately from the fee interest in the land.   The rule on leases is that it must be 30 years or longer to qualify the LEASE   as real property.  In the matter at hand the lease is not being transferred so its length is irrelevant.   I am curious how escrow is going to transfer the interest in the structures?  Deed or bill of sale?  Pay excise or sales tax?  I think the obvious answer is deed and  excise tax. That will need to be monitored to confirm the asset is truly being treated as the real property that it is. If there are other factors, please feel free to give me a call to discuss.   If the client's QI is not willing to proceed let us know and we will facilitate for them.  We have been a QI since 1992. Thanks, Craig

Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
PO Box 1091 Snohomish, WA 98291