[WSBARP] [solo-practice-and-small-firms] akc dog - return to breeder issue

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Wed Jun 20 12:34:59 PDT 2018

I myself breed/show/work Alaskan Malamutes, and have developed this type of
language myself, taught on it, followed general law regarding when that can
be enforceable and when not, and have helped in legal matters on these
types of clauses. In an estate case I always recommend you respect that;
and most families are relieved to have that option.

The breeder should have a copy of the contract.  And the contract will also
dictate how strong the right is.

I can say as a breeder the reason behind these are first and foremost
ensuring the safety and well-being of the dog, I want to know the dog is in
good hands/doing well for its entire life, and is with someone I trust to
provide that. That is important to many people to know that this is
entirely out of love, respect and responsibility for the life they brought
into the world - not something selfish. Sometimes if the animal is intact,
there is also a serious consideration of breeding. One, to maintain the
genetics if the dog was to be part of a breeding program (many breeders
place high-quality dogs out expecting to maintain the genetic piece while
not keeping every nice dog themselves, thus keeping numbers smaller/every
dog is the pet they deserve to be as well as any breeding contribution).
And two, of course, making sure someone doesn't get the dog that will then
go out and indiscriminately breed him/her. Most contracts have limitations
on breeding to ensure responsible breeding practices.

I will also say, as a practical matter beyond legally challenging any such
clause, if the breeder is showing up to ensure the dog comes back the odds
are excellent they are a good breeder - thus will do right by the dog. So
unless a family member has a strong attachment (and those cases they can
then typically work that out with the breeder), this is likely an excellent
route for ensuring a good home/etc.  which of course would fulfill what you
assume the desires would be of the deceased.

If it's not that simple of a scenario, and there are other wrinkles twists
& turns you want to talk through, feel free to call me.

Carmen Rowe, Attorney/Owner

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Mailing address: *1673 S. Market Blvd. #202, Chehalis, WA 98532
*Olympia/Lacey office: *1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503
*Seattle office: *1001 4th Avenue, Suite 3200, Seattle, WA 98154

*We also offer virtual meeting options, and are often available to meet
with you in an alternate location convenient to you.*

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.

If we are communicating with you regarding a debt or monies owed, THIS MAY
BE AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, AND ANY INFORMATION WILL BE USED FOR THAT
PURPOSE. You have the right to seek legal advice from an attorney. To the
extent that the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act applies, this
firm is acting as a debt collector for the firm's client named above. Any
information obtained will be used for collection purposes.