[WSBARP] guarantee of commercial loan

Jim Hoff listserv at corelaw.com
Mon Feb 26 14:26:46 PST 2018

26 CFR 1.752-1 - Treatment of partnership liabilities includes the following
definition for purposes of section 752:

(4)(ii)Obligation. For purposes of this paragraph and § 1.752-7, an
obligation is any fixed or contingent obligation to make payment without
regard to whether the obligation is otherwise taken into account for
purposes of the Internal Revenue Code. Obligations include, but are not
limited to, debt obligations, environmental obligations, tort obligations,
contract obligations, pension obligations, obligations under a short sale,
and obligations under derivative financial instruments such as options,
forward contracts, futures contracts, and swaps.

Don’t have an immediate answer to the more general question of what written
records are required by the IRS to establish an obligation, however.

James B. Hoff

CoRE Law, PLLC

3030 W. Commodore Way, Suite A-302

Seattle, WA 98199