[WSBARP] lis pendens

Tom Westbrook tjw at w3net.net
Sun Feb 25 12:32:07 PST 2018

IMHO – your client had no legal right to record a Lis Pendens as that is
only for circumstances where the issue is about ownership of the property;
not a lien. Let the argument begin 😊

A lis pendens is a mechanism for giving notice that a lawsuit that concerns
title to real property has been filed. RCW 4.28.320. A lis pendens may be
filed “[a]t any time after an action affecting title to real property has
been commenced.” RCW 4.28.320. But a party who files a wrongful lis pendens
risks liability in damages for doing so. RCW 4.28.328 governs, and it
provides in pertinent part,

(a) “Lis pendens” means a lis pendens filed under RCW 4.28.320 . . . or
other instrument having the effect of clouding the title to real property,
however named. . . .

(2) A claimant in an action not affecting the title to real property
against which the lis pendens was filed is liable to an aggrieved party who
prevails on a motion to cancel the lis pendens, for actual damages caused
by filing the lis pendens, and for reasonable attorneys’ fees incurred in
canceling the lis pendens.

(3) Unless the claimant establishes a substantial justification for filing
the lis pendens, a claimant is liable to an aggrieved party who prevails in
defense of the action in which the lis pendens was filed for actual damages
caused by filing the lis pendens, and in the court’s discretion, reasonable
attorneys’ fees and costs incurred in defending the action.

Washington courts have not established either a specific definition or
guiding criteria to determine when and whether an action “affect[s] title
to real property.” RCW 4.28.320. But our courts, in construing other
aspects of our lis pendens statutes, have relied on persuasive authority
from Arizona, whose own lis pendens law is similar to ours. See *Schwab v.
Seattle*, 64 Wn. App. 742, 748, 826 P.2d 1089 (1992). In determining
whether a lis pendens was wrongfully recorded, their courts also consider
whether the action is one “‘affecting title to real property.’” *Santa Fe
Ridge Homeowners’ Ass’n v. Bartschi*, 219 Ariz. 391, 395-96, 199 P.3d 646
(Ct. App. 2008) (quoting ARIZ. REV. STAT. ANN. § 12-1191(A)).

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas J. Westbrook

Attorney at Law

[image: whiteRKCS_newlogo50_email_sig]

Rodgers, Kee & Card, P.S.

324 West Bay Drive NW, Suite 201

Olympia, Washington  98502

Phone: 360-352-8311

Facsimile: 360-352-8501

Email: tjw at buddbaylaw.com

Skype: thomas.westbrook

www.buddbaylaw.com

The information contained in this email and attachment(s) are for the
exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain private, privileged
and/or confidential information.  If you are not the addressee, you are
strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise
using this email or its contents in any way. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone at
360-352-8311 or by e-mail to shannon at buddbaylaw.com, and destroy the
original message from your electronic files.