[WSBARP] Recalcitrant Attorney in Fact

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Feb 22 10:14:51 PST 2018

Not sure if you received any responses--the answer used to be under Ch. 11.94 RCW, now repealed and replaced by Ch. 11.125 RCW, the Uniform Power of Attorney Act. See  RCW 11.125.160(2)(b)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.125&full=true#11.125.160>. I don't know if this has been tested yet, but I would assume that the PR, as legal representative of the decedent principal, has the same standing as the principal to file the petition under RCW 11.125.160(1)(a).

I haven't had to file under the new RCW 11.125 yet, but on first impression it appears to me that the TEDRA petition procedures generally do not need to be followed, except as to "notice requirements." RCW 11.125.160(3). I think that just means, give 20 days' notice of hearing by mail to all the people potentially interested in the estate or the property at issue. RCW 11.96A.110<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.96A.110>; RCW 11.96A.030(5)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.96A.030>.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC