[WSBARP] Installment Sale Contract LLC units, LLC hold real property only; REET

Spencer Stromberg spencer at lucentlaw.com
Wed Dec 5 15:34:14 PST 2018

Josh -

It's been a couple of weeks since your post, so I don't know if you still
need some input, but here goes. In terms of documentation for the
installment sale, since it's LLC units, I'd just look at using a simple
Purchase and Sale Agreement, Bill of Sale, Promissory Note, Security
Agreement, and UCC Financing Statement. If there are unit certificates in
this LLC, then the seller should retain the certificate as collateral (or
better yet, put the whole thing in the hands of an escrow company). I
wouldn't try to repurpose a real estate contract because the statutory
basis for forfeiture won't support forfeiture of personal property.

If the LLC holds title to real property, the second sale will require
filing of a REETA with DOR (the special form for sale of a business
interest) and payment of excise tax.

Spencer A. W. Stromberg
Attorney at Law

*We've Moved! Please Note Our New Address Below:*

1403 S. Grand Blvd., Suite 201-S
Spokane, WA 99203-2278

P: 509.413.1004
D: 509.828.4644
F: 509.413.1078
E: spencer at lucentlaw.com
Web: www.lucentlaw.com

*Lucent Law provides comprehensive legal services in the areas of real
estate, business law, and wills, trusts, and estates. Additionally, Lucent
Law's Forms & Essentials online platform
<http://lucentlaw.com/forms-essentials/> provides defined scope legal
services that are easy to understand and simple to purchase, all at
reasonable fixed prices.*

*For news and updates regarding business law, real estate law and estate
planning issues, please sign up for Lucent Law's News & Updates newsletter
<https://www.lucentlaw.com/newsletter-sign-up>.*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email
or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify me and delete it from your system.