[WSBARP] HOA fine administration and grandfathering

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Tue Aug 28 13:49:52 PDT 2018

Thanks Rob.

Joshua F. Grant

P. O. Box 619
Wilbur, WA 99185
509 647 5578

From: Rob Wilson-Hoss
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:16 PM
To: 'WSBA Real Property Listserv'
Subject: Re: [WSBARP] HOA fine administration and grandfathering

Josh, you have two things. One is a (presumably) covenant violation for failure to complete within two years. My reaction to that is OK, it is finished now, so no damages, no injunction, no cause of action, but the association should figure out how to deal with these in the future.

The second thing you have is, yep, the association figured out a way to deal with these in the future - the new fine schedule. But it wants to include matters that are arguably not under the fine rule scope because it was started before the fine rule was passed. The Board has nowhere to go with this. A fine is only as good as the end result, which is, a lawsuit to collect the fine (often by lien foreclosure). And here, that is a nonstarter.

My advice to the Board would be to graciously declare victory, note that after the rule was passed this member complied, and apply it to future circumstances. Not a fight they want to pick. Better to address current ongoing problems with their time and money.

I like to put into my resolutions an effective date to resolve some of this. And the effective date is almost always, applies to circumstances that arise after the date of recordation.

By the way, and forgive an old man's pontification, but I tell all my clients that they never want to collect any fines. First you try to work with the member, several times, and use someone with a high emotional IQ for the contacts. If that just doesn't work you can fine, but the purpose of the fine is to bring them to the table and use it as a card you can throw in- OK, if you fix this problem within a reasonable time, we will rescind the fine. Leverage. Very rarely will you have to go beyond that, and if that happens, you have other issues to deal with, such as "personality" challenges.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above) and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.  Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692) applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have the right to seek advice of legal counsel.