[WSBARP] IRS tax rules say TIC must be equal interests?

Craig Gourley craig at glgmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:19:27 PDT 2017

You are correct. If they have elected out of partnership status under section 761 and are truly operating as a tenant in common then they own whatever percentage of the property they are in title to.  They independently deduct their actual expenses paid. So if they paid 20% of the interest, that is what they deduct.   I am presuming the deed says a percentage ownership.  If it is silent, I believe the default is equal shares.  Maybe that is where the CPA's confusion lies.

Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection

1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091