[WSBARP] IRS tax rules say TIC must be equal interests?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Sep 28 10:03:02 PDT 2017

Having a bit of a disagreement with opposing party's CPA about the tax effects of a tenant-in-common ownership between two unrelated parties. For no reason I can discern, the CPA is insisting that the IRS tax/deduction rules (for example, for mortgage interest deductions, payment of property taxes, etc.) only work if the tenant-in-common interests are equal: that is, 50-50, equal thirds, equal fourths, whatever.

So far as I know, the deductions are available proportionate to one's interest regardless of whether it is a mathematically equal interest to the other co-owners. If you own a 22.266% interest, then you can deduct 22.266% of the expenses (assuming that you paid your proportionate share, of course).

Am I nuts? Is there an IRS code or regulation that requires TIC interests to be equal?

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC