[WSBARP] Life Estate Pur Autre Vie

David Faber david at faberfeinson.com
Wed Oct 18 16:28:40 PDT 2017

Hey folks! I got an interesting one today. My client gave her former
partner her interest in their family home when they broke up. The former
partner then quitclaimed the home to his daughter, mostly for medicaid
planning purposes. The former partner and daughter now are interested in
ensuring that, upon former spouse's death, my client's receive title to the
family home, with the caveat that the former partner does not want the kids
to know that they're going to get the family life estate *pur autre vie*.

Basically: former partner's daughter quitclaims a life estate in the family
home to herself with my client's kids as the remaindermen and the measuring
life being the former partner. I haven't run across a life estate *pur
autre vie* in my practice, only really remembering them from law school.

Has anyone done anything like this in Washington State? As far as I can
tell, the *pur autre vie* is valid in Washington State, but considering
this would be my first blush with this form of title, I want to hear from
practitioners who may have personal experience.

Best,
David J. Faber
Faber Feinson PLLC
210 Polk Street, Suite 1
Port Townsend, WA 98368
(360) 379-4110

*** NOTICE: ATTORNEY CLIENT COMMUNICATION - PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that
you have received this communication in error, please do not print,
copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also,
please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in
error, and destroy the copy you received.***