[WSBARP] Logging proceeds

Tom Westbrook tjw at w3net.net
Wed Oct 4 09:43:35 PDT 2017

Hello Craig,

Timber is part of the real estate until severed. However, that does not mean
it is waste for the owner of the land to harvest the timber on land subject
to a DOT unless there is a specific timber harvest restriction clause.

Waste encompasses a variety of injuries that may occur to real estate,
including the removal of timber. Seattle-First Nat'l Bank v. Brommers, 89
Wash.2d 190, 202, 570 P.2d 1035 (1977). Nevertheless, the removal of timber
constitutes waste only if it decreases the value of the land. 2 H. Tiffany,
Real Property § 634 (3d ed. 1939); 4 G. Thompson, Real Property § 1853
(repl.1979). Kruger v. Horton, 106 Wash. 2d 738, 743, 725 P.2d 417, 421
(1986)

So, the question is as to value not as to timber harvesting. Most
residential appraisals do not take into consideration the value of timber as
residential appraisers don’t know how to value timber.

Obviously the lender is entitled to payment of the debt. If removing the
timber reduces the value of the property such that the debt is not paid from
the foreclosure sale, then your client is treading on thin ice. If the value
of the real estate is high enough to pay off the loan, then is there any
waste as to the lender? I don’t think the lender is entitled to get more
than what is due them.

Hard one to advise to log without an expert opinion on value and how that
plays into repayment of the debt. Would be an interesting case to argue for
sure but client may be putting herself in harm’s way.

Love to hear what you decide to advise J

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas J. Westbrook

Attorney at Law

cid:image001.jpg at 01CFC835.0D3988D0

Rodgers, Kee & Card, P.S.

324 West Bay Drive NW, Suite 201

Olympia, Washington  98502

Phone: 360-352-8311

Facsimile: 360-352-8501

Email:  <mailto:tjw at buddbaylaw.com> tjw at buddbaylaw.com

Skype: thomas.westbrook

 <http://www.buddbaylaw.com> www.buddbaylaw.com

The information contained in this email and attachment(s) are for the
exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain private, privileged and/or
confidential information.  If you are not the addressee, you are strictly
prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
email or its contents in any way. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone at 360-352-8311 or by
e-mail to  <mailto:shannon at buddbaylaw.com> shannon at buddbaylaw.com, and
destroy the original message from your electronic files.