[WSBARP] single member to two-member LLC

Robert Pampell rpampell at swcp.com
Mon Nov 20 22:33:50 PST 2017

Under the LLC Act, I think it is possible to conclude that the wife, as PR
and on behalf of the estate, becomes an assignee of H's interest, unless his
estate planning documents or the probate code provide otherwise.  H has
ceased to be a member of the LLC (technical term is "dissociation"). If W
wants to continue the LLC and elects within 90 days after the date of death
to do, she has the right to continue the LLC and become the sole remaining
member.  In that case, the LLC would have continued as a single member
entity for tax reporting purposes, and no new EIN should be required.  If
she does not elect within the 90 days, the LLC would be dissolved under RCW
25.15.265.

In a quick search, I did not find any IRS guidance on this, so I would check
with a knowledgeable CPA regarding the required tax reporting.

Bob Pampell

Robert Pampell, Attorney

21st Century Law Office (r)

19125 Northcreek Parkway, Suite 120