[WSBARP] Question

Scott Thomas scott.glen.thomas at gmail.com
Wed May 31 08:00:17 PDT 2017

Some of the typical issues with a sewer line easement (which may, or may
not be applicable to your client's particular circumstances) are (1) who is
obligated to repair the sewer line when repairs are necessary; (2) how
difficult (costly) is it going to be to repair the line (i.e., is burdened
property going to put a huge rock wall or some other obstruction over the
line, making repairs more costly than usual, or is the easement so narrow
that it is not possible to get equipment in to make a repair to the
line?)); (3) is your client adequately protected from a contractor filing a
mechanic's lien in the event contractor is not paid for constructing a
sewer that benefits client's property; (4) is your client able to expand
the use of sewer line if client decides at a future date to increase use of
the line (by converting a single family residence to a multi-family
development, for example); does the agreement make clear that your client
is not obligated any connection fees to the sewer authority.  At least,
these are the issues I have run into in the past.  I am sure there are
others I have not thought of.