[WSBARP] "Excise" versus "Transfer"

Inger Brockman brockman at mpba.com
Thu May 25 13:46:52 PDT 2017

I do see how the distinction between "transfer tax" and our  "real estate excise tax" (for which an affidavit is required on all  transfers requiring either payment or proof of specific exemption) could be confusing.

See:   http://www.ncsl.org/research/fiscal-policy/real-estate-transfer-taxes.aspx#WA
which lists all states' transfer taxes, including our REET (albeit stating that it is an excise tax)

And see:  http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/transfertax.asp
which states:  "Transfer tax is also known as "excise tax" in some states."

I'm not saying that "Investopedia" is legal precedent, but I do think there is room for debate here about what the buyer and seller intended, and those of us drafting (or reviewing) purchase agreements should not assume "transfer tax" is a category of closing costs will be deemed completely inapplicable in Washington (especially if it is not distinguished from and given separate treatment than the REET).

Inger C. Brockman |  Montgomery Purdue Blankinship & Austin PLLC
701 Fifth Avenue, Suite 5500, Seattle, WA 98104   (206) 682-7090   Fax: (206) 625-9534   brockman at mpba.com<mailto:brockman at mpba.com>   www.mpba.com<http://www.mpba.com/>
Privileged or confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not copy or communicate this message to anyone. If you received this message in error, please destroy this message and notify the sender by reply email.