[WSBARP] Timeshare Attorney Referrals?

Wheeler, Doug DWheeler at viresorts.com
Thu May 4 08:22:44 PDT 2017

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any attorney in Washington who regularly handles this type of work.  However, I would be extremely wary of referring a client to any timeshare exit company - most of them are scams.  A common outcome is that they will purport to transfer the timeshare, but never get the transfer recorded on the books of the timeshare association or club, with the result that the original owner is still on the hook for annual maintenance fees.

As for Timeshare Exit Team/Reed Hein and Associates, they apparently charge around $3,500 and, as far as we can tell, all they do is refer the matter out to an out-of-state attorney, who sends a letter threatening legal action due to alleged fraudulent conduct in the original sale of the timeshare.  After receiving multiple letters that are exactly the same, it is obvious that it is a form letter, and equally obvious that more often than not, the attorneys have not even talked to their reputed clients.  In our opinion Timeshare Exit Team is a predatory company that engages in scam-like transactions with vulnerable consumers.

Rather than going to a timeshare exit company, I would suggest having your client look into giving it back to the original seller/developer, or the current owners association or timeshare program.  They may or may not be willing to take it back, or they might require payment of all current assessments and fees before they are willing to accept the timeshare.

At Vacation Internationale, if one of our owners can no longer use their timeshare and they want out, we let them relinquish their membership without any fee or charge.  We understand that other timeshare clubs/organizations may also let the owners out.  They may charge fairly significant fees, but is worth exploring.

If all else fails, your client could try simply mailing a deed for the timeshare to the owners association or timeshare program conveying it to them.  They might still try to collect any unpaid dues, fees or assessments, but if your client owes only a relatively small amount, it might not be worth their while to try to collect (especially if it is a Canadian company that would have to try to enforce a foreign judgment in Washington).  Of course, however, they could bring legal action and/or file a negative report with the credit reporting agencies.  Accordingly, this should not be undertaken lightly, and make sure your client understands all the risks before doing so.

Doug Wheeler
General Counsel
Vacation Internationale, Inc.
(425) 454-3065 (Ext 1208)
(206) 356-8350 (Cell)
DWheeler at VIResorts.com<mailto:DWheeler at VIResorts.com>