[WSBARP] Vacant Land Purchase & Sale Agreement Form 25 Question re:lack of buyer remedies

Kary Krismer krismer at comcast.net
Tue Jul 4 03:21:22 PDT 2017

There are no liquidated damage provisions in any of the various statewide P&S agreements that come to mind (assuming you don’t consider return of earnest money liquidated damages, which is what some bank contracts provide).  They all just rely on whatever the common law remedies are.  And yes, specific performance can be one of the remedies.

This is more and more of a problem lately because sellers are reportedly breaching more after agreeing to sell their homes due to the horrible buyer’s market they discover.  I haven’t personally been involved in any of those situations as an agent, but I have heard of a couple situations where they rely on things like bad legal descriptions to give them an out (which I guess technically isn’t a breach).  Plus, there’s this video from Washington Realtors a couple of months ago.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqDeMgMx1k

Note:  The best remedy or persuasion, might be the seller’s liability for a commission (both listing and selling side) as well as attorney fees if they lose.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott/KMS Renton
206 723-2148