[WSBARP] Condo Association Superpriority Liens vs. FHFA: Ninth Circuit Speaks

Spencer Stromberg spencer at lucentlaw.com
Wed Aug 30 15:24:52 PDT 2017

This decision does make a mess for condo HOA foreclosures. The Nevada
statute appears materially similar to Washington's to my eye - the HOA's
lien is only prior to a mortgage that was recorded before the default in
assessment payments to the extent of 6 months (WA) or 9 months (NV) of
budgeted assessments. The statutory language is very similar - I believe
they are both based on uniform acts.

The decision doesn't mention whether the condo declaration in question
mentions the HOA's lien rights and priority. I wonder if that would make a
difference - i.e., relying on superpriority stemming from the declaration,
to which Freddie Mac could be deemed to have consented by buying the loan,
rather than relying solely on the superpriority granted by the statute?

This could lead to even more zombie properties in the next real estate
downturn - lenders were already hesitant to foreclose on condo units, and
now there will be no incentive at all for Freddie Mac loans to be
foreclosed until the market is very clearly recovered enough to recoup the
full loan amount.

This is really bad news for condo HOAs.

----------------------------------
Spencer A. W. Stromberg
Attorney at Law

827 W. 1st Avenue, Suite 425
Spokane, WA 99201-3914
P: 509.413.1004
D: 509.828.4644
F: 509.413.1078
E: spencer at lucentlaw.com
Web: www.lucentlaw.com

*Lucent Law provides comprehensive legal services in the areas of real
estate, business law, and wills, trusts and estates. Additionally, Lucent
Law's Forms & Essentials online platform
<https://tracking.cirrusinsight.com/b854d0d0-36b4-47cf-883c-03b60481e1a9/lucentlaw-com-forms-essentials>
provides defined scope legal services that are easy to understand and
simple to purchase, all at reasonable fixed prices.*

*For news and updates regarding business law, real estate law and estate
planning issues, please sign up for Lucent Law's News & Updates newsletter
<https://tracking.cirrusinsight.com/b854d0d0-36b4-47cf-883c-03b60481e1a9/lucentlaw-com-newsletter-sign-up>.*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email
or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify me and delete it from your system.