[WSBARP] Depositing cash for marijuana sale to trust account.

Cyrus Field cyfield at rockisland.com
Fri Apr 21 12:39:26 PDT 2017

Granted I haven't researched the broader issue, but as I recall the Wa Bar's
ethics opinion 3 years ago said something to the effect you could advise
clients re: marijuana businesses (and also burn rope yourself) because the
feds under Obama had taken the position they weren't going to pursue the
potential federal claims if such acts were valid under state law. But all
that that was subject to change if the feds attitude changed.

And here we are potentially despite all the admin's talk of state's
rights/smaller federal government. Some of my elder law clients are going to
be pretty upset if these state laws go up in smoke (bad pun intended).

I'd be curious to hear what the Bar says now.

Cyrus W. Field, Attorney at Law (admitted in Washington and Oregon)

phone: 360-472-1223 Mail: POB 367, Shaw Island, WA 98286 Office: 640 Mullis
St. Friday Harbor, WA

The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, may
be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not
the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is
strictly prohibited. If you think you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender at cyfield at rockisland.com and destroy or delete the
original and any copies.