[WSBARP] Deed of Trust For Agricultural Land

Tom J. Westbrook tjw at w3net.net
Thu Sep 15 12:01:13 PDT 2016

I’m sure you realize that foreclosing on a Deed of Trust for agricultural property also allows the defaulting buyer a 12 month redemption period and they can continue to farm or whatever they do during that time period. Good for Buyer; not so good for Seller. As stated by others; Real Estate Contract is best for Seller but if you represent the Buyer you may prefer the Deed of Trust. In my experience as mentioned below by Rick, even if the Deed of Trust states it is not agricultural property and it was, it will need to be foreclosed judicially. I can’t remember for sure if the redemption period runs from date of sale or date of confirmation of sale. I think it is date of confirmation of sale, but  the statute is clear on that.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thomas J. Westbrook

Attorney at Law

Rodgers, Kee & Card

324 West Bay Drive NW, Suite 201

Olympia, Washington  98502

Phone: 360-352-8311

Facsimile: 360-352-8501

Email: tjw at buddbaylaw.com

Skype: thomas.westbrook

www.buddbaylaw.com

The information contained in this email and attachment(s) are for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain private, privileged and/or confidential information.  If you are not the addressee, you are strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this email or its contents in any way. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone at 360-352-8311 or by e-mail to reception at buddbaylaw.com, and destroy the original message from your electronic files.