[WSBARP] Power of Attorney to Transfer Property

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Tue Nov 22 17:07:07 PST 2016

Hoping for some direction from those more knowledgeable than me.    We are Attorney in Fact for financial affairs for a person who is no longer capable of executing documents.  The Durable Power of Attorney was not notarized.  We have to sell the principal's home.

My recollection is that a Durable Power of Attorney, while currently valid even in absence of an acknowledgement,  needs to be acknowledged to properly authorize the agent to transfer real property for the principal because the principal's signature would have to be notarized to accomplish this act.  If I am wrong about that, please let me know.

Assuming I am right, then we are stuck with filing for guardianship just to transfer the property.  Ugh.   What I am wondering is, assuming I can go to court under RCW 11.94 and get a court order which says that I, as the attorney in fact, have the authority to transfer the real property, whether that would be sufficient to transfer and maintain a proper chain of title.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Ohana Fiduciary Corp.
Ohana Financial Services

Mark C. Vohr, J.D., CPG, Principal
PO Box 33710  Seattle, WA  98133
T:  (206) 782-1189 F:  (206) 782-1434
mcv at ohanafc.com<mailto:mcv at ohanafc.com>      www.ohanafc.com<http://www.ohanafc.com/>

CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

This communication may contain information that is confidential.  It was intended only for the named or a specific recipient.  If you have received this communication in error.  Please delete it immediately and contact the sender to advise them of improper delivery.

This communication is not intended to provide legal advice to the recipient.  The sender does not represent you as legal counsel and neither this communication or any conversations you may have with the sender creates an attorney client relationship with the sender.  If you seek legal advice, you should consult separate legal counsel.