[WSBARP] Real Estate Excise Tax Exemption

Craig Gourley craig at glgmail.com
Tue May 17 12:22:14 PDT 2016

I think it depends on your facts.  Looking at the examples, I think 204 is mostly for changing the ownership form when people already own property together.   Section 201 is for gifts.  So if your JT is being created by adding a person to the title with no consideration passing, I would just use the gift exemption.  For example parent wants to add child as a JT, I think you have a gift as long as the consideration and debt issues are correctly addressed.

Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection

1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091