[WSBARP] Real Estate Excise Tax Exemption

Jim Doran jim at doranlegal.com
Tue May 17 11:48:34 PDT 2016

WAC 458-61!-204 allows an exemption to the REET for "the creation of a
....joint tenancy...if no consideration passes otherwise."  But the WAC
then references 458-61A-201 Gifts.  That seems to mean that we can use the
Joint tenancy exemption but that we have to use the "supplemental statement
as stated in WAC 458-61A-201, Gifts.

WAC 458-61A-201 allows for a Gift of real property as exempt from excise
tax if the REET Affidavit has a "supplemental statement approved by the
Department completed and attached to the affidavit".  The contents we can
handle but I do not know of this "supplemental statement" *format* or what
it means to have
*the Department approve of it.*
Can anyone shed any light on this for me and maybe an example of the
"approved format".

Thank you.

James R. Doran
Attorney at Law