[WSBARP] Ownership of home post foreclosure auction

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Thu Jun 23 11:09:28 PDT 2016

Shana,

I don’t think that the fact that there was a sale event without a sale affects the title. The owner still owns it. There is no trustee’s deed to change that ownership. As to the statutes, here’s what I found:

61.24.020: …a deed of trust is subject to all laws relating to mortgages on real property A deed conveying real property to a trustee in trust to secure the performance of an obligation of the grantor or another to the beneficiary may be foreclosed by trustee's sale.

61.24.040 (4) On the date and at the time designated in the notice of sale, the trustee or its authorized agent shall sell the property at public auction to the highest bidder.

…(7) The purchaser shall forthwith pay the price bid and on payment the trustee shall execute to the purchaser its deed;

61.24.050(1) …if the trustee accepts a bid, then the trustee's sale is final as of the date and time of such acceptance if the trustee's deed is recorded within fifteen days thereafter.

 <https://1.next.westlaw.com/Document/N16DDE2B09E3011DAA56686838D69F963/View/FullText.html?originationContext=superbrowse&transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)> 61.24.100. Deficiency judgments--Foreclosure--Trustee's sale--Application of chapter

(1) Except to the extent permitted in this section for deeds of trust securing commercial loans, a deficiency judgment shall not be obtained on the obligations secured by a deed of trust against any borrower, grantor, or guarantor after a trustee's sale under that deed of trust.

 <https://1.next.westlaw.com/Document/NEE9FB9A0A20B11E09837E34F117CD1A4/View/FullText.html?originationContext=superbrowse&transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)> 61.24.135. Consumer protection act--Unfair or deceptive acts or practices

(1)  It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice under the consumer protection act, chapter 19.86 RCW, for any person, acting alone or in concert with others, to offer, or offer to accept or accept from another, any consideration of any type not to bid, or to reduce a bid, at a sale of property conducted pursuant to a power of sale in a deed of trust.

It seems more likely to me that there was no sale. And if there was no sale, then the deed of trust is not extinguished as an encumbrance. Back to square one.

Why not just call the trustee and find out what the deal is? Or the person hired by the trustee to conduct the sale? Here, we have a very chatty trustee representative who will usually tell us what we want to know.

I can imagine a couple of reasons a trustee would not bid:

·       Sheer incompetency by failing to communicate a bid to the one conducting the sale and that person being afraid to do anything without authority;

·       Finding at the last minute the debtor has other assets and the property is not worth the debt (pretty unlikely; usually they would hve enough time to cancel the sale or postpone it, at least.)

·       Finding out that they had not done something properly and the sale would not be valid (my best guess).

In the meantime, many debtors just continue to reside in the property. They own it, after all. Free housing, courtesy of the lender, save your rent money for a downpayment on the next house.

Let us know what you find out when you ask for the reason there was no bid.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above) and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.  Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692) applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have the right to seek advice of legal counsel.