[WSBARP] Adult Child in Basement

Danielle Flatt danielle at dimensionlaw.com
Tue Jun 7 12:03:12 PDT 2016

Maureen,

Generally, if it's to the point where Mom needs a lawyer to remove the
child, it's going to be messy.  Sometimes a Cash-for-Keys agreement will
work, and cash is conditioned upon the child moving out all their stuff and
handing over the keys.  Parent has to promptly change locks.

Other times, the parent has to use the threat of litigation and serve an
unlawful detainer. As part of the settlement, the parent agrees not to file
in court and pay the child upon moveout.  Incentive for child is money, and
not having an eviction on their rental record.  If an unlawful detainer
fits your facts, that might have to be your route.

Best Regards,

DANIELLE FLATT | ATTORNEY | DIMENSION LAW GROUP PLLC
234 SW 43rd St, Suite MA | Renton, WA 98057
t: *206.973.3500 *| f: *206.577.5090*| e: *danielle at dimensionlaw.com
<danielle at dimensionlaw.com>*| www.dimensionlaw.com

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Paul Neumiller <pneumiller at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Yeah, pay the money AFTER the kid moves out and change the locks on the
> doors.  Really.  I’ve had to evict many relatives from homes (we post the
> notice on their bedroom doors) where the “landlord” paid them money first
> with the hope the couch surfers would move out.  No motivation for a kid to
> move out when the kid is staying there AND has the money in hand.

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or
telephone; return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.