[WSBARP] UD & Sub-T as Necessary Party

Rob Rowley rob at rowleylegal.com
Thu Jan 7 07:36:05 PST 2016

Based upon the below facts no need to serve the subtenant.  My eviction
pleadings always include the tenant/defendant and ‘all occupants at the
XXXXX address”.  By having an ‘all occupant’ as a named defendant it takes
care of any subtenants or anyone else that you may not be aware of.

The key determination is who is the tenant? This is true where the landlord
accepts rent from subtenant then they become an additional tenant or if
there is an agreement no matter how informal between landlord and
subtenant.  Mere knowledge of the existence of a sub tenancy is not in and
of itself enough to establish a tenancy.

Robert R. Rowley

Attorney At Law

(509) 252-5074 (w)

(509) 994-1143 (c)