[WSBARP] UD & Sub-T as Necessary Party

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:23:31 PST 2016

This is a reality check and a fear of the unknown (I have never dealt with
subtenants before.)  I represent the LL.  LL rents a rural  lot with two
residences to T.  T then subleases one to the residences to sub-tenant.
Naturally, there is nothing in writing between anybody.  The Sub-T has never
paid rent directly to the LL.  LL is aware of Sub-T but not the details.  T
in default of rent.

Is Sub-T a necessary party in a UD action?  Daniels v. Ward, 35 Wn. App. 697
(Div. 1, 1983) states that a subtenant is NOT a necessary party.  Anyone
think otherwise?  (I could serve Sub-T but prefer not to because of
additional expense and complications from multiple parties.)