[WSBARP] Sewer Repair

Laird, Katherine KatherineLaird at CenturyPacificLP.com
Wed Dec 14 10:46:40 PST 2016

There are cases under which the City  typically will pay for the sewer replacement, in particular if a camera survey of the sewer reveals that the roots from city-owned trees caused the damage to be repaired.   I know of a few instances where the homeowner was able t to successfully argue for reimbursement based on the city tree roots argument.  Possibly beyond the scope of your facts but I wanted to share this twist on the general rule.

Katherine Kramer Laird
CenturyPacific, LP
Suite 1680
1201 Third Avenue
Seattle, WA  98101
Ph. 206-757-8892/Mobile. 206-915-0109
Fax 206-757-7890
katherinelaird at centurypacificlp.com<mailto:katherinelaird at centurypacificlp.com>

From: wsbarp-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbarp-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Mark K. Funke
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 10:37 AM
To: WSBA Real Property Listserv
Subject: Re: [WSBARP] Sewer Repair

Ron - My understanding is that in the City of Seattle the property owner is responsible up to the point where the side-sewer connects to the main even when the side-sewer line is under city property. The property adjacent to my office building had a situation where the cost of ripping up the street and fixing the side-sewer was $90K+ (major arterial; had to have flaggers and re-route Metro buses. A real mess). Property owner paid 100%… I think I heard that they tried submitting a claim to the City of Seattle but were not successful. - Mark

__
Mark K. Funke, Attorney
P.206-632-1535
mark at funkelaw.com<mailto:mark at funkelaw.com>