[WSBARP] Condo Foreclosure Basics

Patrick McDonald pmcdonald at podymcdonaldlaw.com
Fri May 1 10:43:22 PDT 2015

It completely depends on whether the association has lien priority over the deed of trust as provided in RCW 64.34.364(3), and if so, whether the lender appeared in the lawsuit and paid off the association’s lien priority.

If the association does not have lien priority, then the lender would not have been named as a defendant in the lawsuit, and your client takes his or her interest subject to the deed of trust. If and when the lender forecloses, it will eliminate your client’s interest in the unit. The result is the same if the Association does have lien priority but the lender paid it off and was dismissed from the lawsuit. In either case, the lender does not have to avail itself of the redemption statute because its deed of trust is senior to the interest your client purchased at the sheriff’s sale.

If the Association has lien priority, named the lender as a defendant in the lawsuit, and the lender did not satisfy the Association’s lien priority, then the lender would have to redeem from your client by paying off the amount bid plus interest and potentially some additional amounts as provided in RCW 6.23.020. The legislature changed the redemption statute to allow lenders to redeem in the wake of the Summerhill Village case in 2012.

If the lender (or foreclosed owner) did not redeem, then your client would own the unit free and clear of their interests.

This is somewhat of a big subject with a lot of variables at play, but those are the very basics.

Patrick McDonald
Pody & McDonald, PLLC
1200 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1410
Seattle, WA 98101-3106