[WSBARP] Affidavit of Identity

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Mar 19 16:17:31 PDT 2015

Usually a title company can handle this issue at time of a transaction, without needing to record an affidavit. A conveyance deed can say something like "Grantor, Jane Newname, an unmarried individual, who took title as Mary Oldname, a married individual, hereby conveys and warrants..." I also usually list both names in the Grantor indexing.

I recently thought of a dodge that I haven't tried but should work--do a quitclaim deed from ""Grantor, Jane Newname, an unmarried individual, who took title as Mary Oldname, a married individual, for no consideration and as a mere change in identity or form, hereby conveys and quitclaims to Jane Newname, an unmarried individual..." Then use the WAC 458-61A-211 exemption to avoid excise tax. That gets indexing under the current name and does it in the chain of title.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC