[WSBARP] Timeshare woes

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Mar 18 15:00:53 PDT 2015

I have a long-time client who is in her 70s, her husband died about 3 years ago. She is on very limited income and has only a little savings. Unfortunately she also has a timeshare that is basically worthless but comes with the usual annual dues obligation. She's being sued in small claims for about $1300 now, because she hasn't paid the dues since her husband died. (They never used the timeshare and were never able to rent it to anybody either.)

How in h*ll does one get rid of a timeshare? I'm representing her pro bono to try to help deal with this, and asked for a waiver or compromise by the HOA Board, and they just said No and are proceeding with the small claims. It's not the current amount that's really the concern--though she really hasn't $1300 to spare--so much as the ongoing obligation.

I know it's been talked about recently on the listserve, but I'm venting, and also hoping I missed something in the previous conversation about a solution.

This is really ridiculous. There oughta be a law!

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC