[WSBARP] Partition of upside-down property - 3 questions

RebeccaWiess rwiess at foxinternet.net
Wed Mar 18 11:32:01 PDT 2015

I'm a little late on this thread, but that's what retirement will do for
you.

No, partition doesn't give you the ability to sell free and clear of liens,
receivership or bankruptcy can. Underwater property presents a nice
challenge. Evaluate whether 1) your client is at risk of owing a deficiency
to a lender, 2) your client could get hit with the tax bill for phantom
income, and 3) whether your client could actually collect anything from
co-owner after getting judgment on an accounting. For 1 - letting the
property go to non-judicial foreclosure may be preferable. For 2 -  again,
non-judicial foreclosure is a better option. If the answer to 3 is yes, then
the rest of it may be worth the expense of litigation through to a judgment
on an accounting.

I dealt with several under-water properties in partitions. In one case one
side was not at risk on the mortgage, so I deeded 100% of the property to
the other party. On another, where the circumstances made it reasonable that
the party who wanted to keep the house would be able to enhance the value
and refinance, I deeded to that party on an Order which gave them 18 months
to refinance or we would be back to square one.

Rebecca Wiess

Retired

  _____