[WSBARP] Lease Term Auto Renewal

Ron Housh ron at housh.org
Thu Mar 12 10:51:59 PDT 2015

Client calls and says he "overlooked" a provision in an office lease that
stated that the lease term automatically renews/extends for X years unless
the lessee gives not less than 90 days written notice of an intent to NOT
renew/extend.

Client missed the deadline by days in giving notice of an intent to not
renew/extend.

Lessor is being "difficult" stating an intent to consider the lease term
renewed/extended.

While the lessee indicated he may try to negotiate his way out of the
renewal/extension, his question to me is whether there is any case law
indicating that the Courts view these auto-renewal provisions with disfavor.
I have not found any yet - but wondering if anyone has dealt with this
issue?  Thanks!

Ron

I AM TYPICALLY IN THE SEATTLE OFFICE ON TUESDAY AND THURSDAY AND IN THE
MOUNT VERNON OFFICE ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY

Ronald G. Housh, P.S.

Attorney at Law

Seattle Office:

1420 Fifth Avenue, Suite 3000