[WSBARP] Mold in Rental Unit

Howard Herman hhherman2 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 17 00:17:00 PDT 2015

I think the starting point is that the LL has a statutory and common law obligation to maintain the premises in an habitable condition. The presence of mold will render the premises uninhabitable to some degree. Also, if the building was built prior to 1978, it probably has lead based paint in it which could also be the source of the child’s illness. See RCW 70.103.010.

The statutory duty of the LL is in the first line of RCW 59.18.060. “The landlord will at all times during the tenancy keep the premises fit for human habitation….” The common law duty arises from the case law: Foisy v Wyman 83 Wn.2d 22 Supreme Court 1973 and “A tenant may premise an action against a landlord under any of three legal theories: the act, the rental agreement or the common law.” Landis & Landis v Nation Div. 1 2012.

Under Foisy, the court will determine the degree of uninhabitably and abate the rent proportionally for the period of habitation. If the court determines that the premises are completely uninhabitable, the tenant gets all his rent back and there would be no basis for either a 3 or 10 day notice. (I had a case, based on expert testimony, where the court found the premises totally uninhabitable.)

In Landis, the tenant was able to rescind the lease even before he took possession. (Rodents)

Your LL might want to think in terms of relying on his 20 day notice to vacate and give the tenant some money to make a deposit somewhere else. (I had that case just recently based on bed bugs.) I think the flip side of the tenant having to move if the premises are uninhabitable is constructive eviction. Either way the LL is the loser.

Howard Herman

Herman Jolley P S

509.220.5810