[WSBARP] Tax Sale

Patrick McDonald pmcdonald at podymcdonaldlaw.com
Fri Jul 24 09:13:29 PDT 2015

The tax sale would eliminate your client’s deed of trust. All that would be left is an unsecured claim against the foreclosed owner. I don’t believe there is a right of redemption other than the U.S. government if it has a lien against the property. Any surplus funds generated from the tax sale would go to the foreclosed owner and not junior lienholders such as your client.

I don’t know what the value of the property is or if there are other liens and what their relative priorities are. Your client may want to consider paying off the taxes prior to the sale. I assume there’s a provision in the deed of trust that allows the payment to be added to the note.

Patrick McDonald
Pody & McDonald, PLLC
1200 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1410
Seattle, WA 98101-3106