[WSBARP] Limitations on Residential Unlawful Detainers

Danielle Flatt danielle at dimensionlaw.com
Tue Jan 27 13:51:54 PST 2015

Good Afternoon Listmates,

Are there limits as to how far back actions for unpaid rent (3 Day Notices)
or unpaid non-rent obligations (10 Day Notices) can go?

I'm thinking of the situations where a landlord tries to solve the problem
itself and waits longer than it should before calling a lawyer to start the
unlawful detainer, such as by writing letters and making phone calls to the
tenant for the unpaid obligations.  I've seen situations where tenants are
more than a year behind on their rent before the owner realizes it can't be
handled pro se.

Is there an actual limit on how far back the notice can go before the
landlord is deemed to have waived his rights?  Or a limit beyond which the
pre-eviction notice would be considered defective?  I could not find
authority on this issue.

Best Regards,

DANIELLE FLATT | ATTORNEY | DIMENSION LAW GROUP PLLC
1900 S Puget Dr, Suite 203 | Renton, WA 98055
t: *206.973.3500 ext 202*   |   f: *866.696.0892 * | e:
*danielle at dimensionlaw.com* | www.dimensionlaw.com

**Please take note of our new phone number**

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or
telephone; return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.