[WSBARP] filing transcript of judgment enough?

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Tue Jan 20 09:20:47 PST 2015

For years, I have been following the language of the statute. I don't record
an abstract of the judgment, I record the judgment. Compare the first two
sentences of 6.13.090, below. This gets at excess equity over the homestead
protection. I do record an abstract in foreign counties to get at everything
else, if there is anything else. Two different things.

But see Matter of Deal, 85 Wash. App. 580, 933 P.2d 1084 (Div. 1 1997). The
Deal court discusses the priority of various claims against surplus proceeds
from a nonjudicial deed of trust foreclosure sale vis-a-vis the debtor's
homestead. Although the case involved a nonjudicial deed of trust
foreclosure the court's reasoning as to the surplus proceeds would be
equally applicable to a judicial foreclosure. The court held that a judgment
holder in one county need only record their judgment with the recorder of
another county pursuant to RCWA 6.13.090 and did not also need to file an
abstract of their judgment with the clerk of the other county, pursuant to
RCWA 4.56.200(2) in order to encumber the excess equity in homestead
property. See also, Sweet v. O'Leary, 88 Wash. App. 199, 944 P.2d 414 (Div.
1 1997). The Washington State Legislature has amended RCWA 6.13.010,
6.13.030, 6.13.150, and 6.13.160 in response to Robin L. Miller Const. Co.,
Inc. v. Coltran, 87 Wash. App. 112, 940 P.2d 661 (Div. 1 1997). In the Robin
Miller case, the Court of Appeals held that the net value of homestead real
property would be calculated at the time a judgment lien was executed
against it and that the encumbrances against the value of the property
should include the judgment being executed upon. Above-referenced amendments
increased the amount of the homestead to $40,000 and provided that only
encumbrances senior to the judgment being executed on would be utilized in
computing net value.

27 Wash. Prac., Creditors' Remedies - Debtors' Relief § 3.13

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified
that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by
reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above)
and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.
Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to
collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To
the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692)
applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the
condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to
it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have
the right to seek advice of legal counsel.