[WSBARP] Recovery of Subsurface Mineral Rights

Deborah Berg deborahberg at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 11:57:05 PST 2015

David,

Just a couple of additional comments:

·         Remember that a quitclaim deed only conveys whatever interest the grantor has, which may be none.  If you end up only being able to get a quitclaim deed, you will want to have done the research to be pretty sure that the grantor in fact holds the subsurface mineral rights.  You will want to work with your client’s title company to make sure that the conveyance is handled in a manner that it will be willing to insure your client’s fee interest in the land free and clear of the mineral interest reservation.

·         RCW 78.22 can be very helpful in the right circumstances, but it can be difficult to demonstrate that the mineral right has not been used.

Good luck,

Deborah Berg