[WSBARP] Recovery of Subsurface Mineral Rights

Deborah Berg deborahberg at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 10:26:08 PST 2015

David,

First you need to find out who owns the subsurface mineral rights at this point, so you know who to approach to attempt to have them conveyed to your client.  The first place to start would be with a title search, although the current ownership may not be reflected in the real estate records.  Generally title companies won’t insure the ownership of mineral rights, and don’t like to do such searches, but start by talking to a title company in the county where the land is located.  Alternatively, you could probably search the deed records in that county, searching the grantor index looking for conveyances by your client’s grantor after the date of the deed that reserved the subsurface mineral rights.  If they conveyed or lease the mineral rights, it might show up in those deed records.

If you don’t find anything in the deed records, try to track down your client’s grantor or surviving heirs.  Hopefully the mineral rights have not been leased to a mining company.  If not, you can request a deed from the current owner of the mineral rights conveying the rights to your client.  If the mineral rights have been leased to a mining company, you will need to request that the company terminate its lease or assign it to your client.  Your client may need to pay the mining company to do so.

Alternatively, I suggest you use (or at least consult with) a “landman”, a person who specializes in tracing down mineral rights.  A Washington lawyer (and law school classmate) I have worked with, who has helped me and my client greatly in this regard is Ed Menteer at MainStay Consulting, LLC.  Although he is located in Brush Prairie, WA, he does work in this field in many states.  You can see what he does on his website (www.consultmainstay.com), and can reach him at 360-723-3003 or edm at consultmainstay.com.  I highly recommend him.  I am copying him on this message, in case he has any other suggestions.

Deborah Berg