[WSBARP] continual late payments - commercial lease & forfeiture

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Mon Jan 5 15:59:26 PST 2015

Listmates:

I have a landlord under a written commercial lease whose tenant continually is late with payments.  I have had to prepare and have served 3 “3 day notices to pay or vacate” in the last 3 months.  Even with the payment of late fees, this is getting expensive.  Is there a rule of thumb, or any authority that after a certain number of late payments, (and this lease does not have this as a provision) that Landlord can just do a notice to vacate and indicate that no more rent will be accepted, perhaps after there have been a few warnings “please note if you don’t make future payments on time, Landlord will forfeit the lease”.   and when this is contested in a UP action, we say “judge, we have suffered 5 months of late payments... please forfeit this badboy”.

thanks

Joshua F. Grant, PS
Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 619