[WSBARP] PR deed - what are folks using now?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Jan 5 12:15:47 PST 2015

Melinda--

I was in on that conversation, along with Dwight Bickel and Mike Winslow. The disagreement was over exactly what difference there is between a B&S deed and the warranties in a "special warranty deed" as if often used (not a statutory form, but a custom version). The special warranty deed "conveys and grants" and after the legal description, says something like:

"The Grantor, for itself and for its successor in interest, does by these presents expressly limit the covenants of the Deed to those herein expressed, and excludes all covenants arising or to arise by statutory or other implication, and does hereby covenant that all persons whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim by, through or under said grantor, and not otherwise, grantor will forever warrant and defend the same described real estate."

Dwight and Mike convinced me that a B&S deed includes one covenant that the above special warranty deed doesn't:  the warranty of title, meaning that the special warranty deed does not include a warranty that the grantor owns title to the property. Effectively, the deed says "yeah, the Estate will give this property to you, and will protect you against any claim that the Estate conveyed an interest to anyone other than you, BUT we won't give you a warranty that the Estate even owned the property in the first place."

I think this is kind of ridiculous in most circumstances, but I admit I can see some scenarios where an Estate isn't quite sure about the full extent or quality of the decedent's ownership interest, and so does not want to warrant ownership. But c'mon, if the Estate isn't sure that it even owns the property, what business does the PR have in trying to sell it to someone?

For straight inheritance, I just use a Quitclaim Deed to convey to the inheritors, and avoid the whole issue.

If the Estate is selling property, I default (because of Dwight and Mike) to a special warranty deed instead of a B&S deed, even though I think it's overkill in most circumstances and a B&S deed is just fine. I include in my standard "sale by estate" addendum, among other things, a provision saying:

Title shall be conveyed by a Personal Representative's Deed with only the following warranty language: "The Grantor, for itself and for its successors in interest, hereby expressly limits the covenants of the Deed to those herein expressed, and excludes all covenants arising or to arise by statutory or other implication, and does hereby covenant that against all persons whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim by, through or under said grantor, and not otherwise, grantor will forever warrant and defend the same described real estate."

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC