[WSBARP] RCW 6.13.060 homestead spouse signing rule

Valentine, Gretchen (TRGC) Gretchen.Valentine at TitleResources.com
Thu Feb 26 17:18:30 PST 2015

In that case, I think the lender will require that the wife sign the deed of trust in some way.  What I usually do is:

  1.  Have the wife QCD the property to "husband, as his separate estate" with the QCD recorded just prior to the recording of the deed to husband;
  2.  Have the husband be the sole grantor on the deed of trust, but have the wife sign the deed of trust at the end of the document, with the following words typed just above her signature:  "SIGNING NOT AS AN OBLIGOR OR GUARANTOR BUT MERELY TO ENCUMBER ANY HOMESTEAD OR COMMUNITY INTEREST THAT MAY ARISE"

That usually satisfies most lenders.  However, sometimes lenders may have other requirements.

Good luck!

Gretchen

Gretchen Valentine
VP and NW Regional Underwriting Counsel